Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2008 14:44:36 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mill@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        "Paul B. Mahol" <onemda@gmail.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.0-stable: a hung process - scheduler bug?

Paul B. Mahol ΞΑΠΙΣΑΧ(ΜΑ):
>> Let me know, what else I can do to help fix this bug -- I'm going to
>> reboot the machine tonight... Should I switch to SCHED_ULE as a
>> work-around?
>>

> SCHED_BSD4 is suboptimal for 4 CPUs, and it is replaced with SCHED_ULE
> on 7 STABLE.

Thanks, Paul for the explanation. I've heard of some problems still
lingering in the ULE and figured, I'll stay with the BSD-scheduler for a
while. I guess, it is time to switch.
However, what I'm seeing on my system today is evidence of the scheduler
having a bug, rather than merely being suboptimal. If the old scheduler
is still maintained and supposed to work (however sub-optimally) in
4-CPU configurations, I'd expect either inquiries for more
debug-information or assurances, that the bug is known and worked on.
In the July 26th sys/conf/NOTES file the SCHED_BSD4 is still on the
default option....
Yours,

    -mi