Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 15:19:41 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>
Cc:        Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IrDA progress [ was Re: Nokia 9110i ....]

In message <20001210154113.A27625@peorth.iteration.net> "Michael C . Wu" writes:
: sio1 into Netgraph nodes for IrCOMM, IrTTY, IrLAN, Ir*.
: (most IrDA controllers lie to the system as a serial controller
: if there is no real irda driver, and they emit Ir just fine.
: Try pointing your cellphone/PDA at your laptop's Ir port, and cat /dev/cuaa1)

Most older IR ports that support IrDA's SIR protocol do this.  The
ones that support FIR generally need their own driver.  At least this
is true with all the datasheets I've seen for the MIPS based PDAs.
I'm told that laptops are similar.  My libretto could talk via serial
port to another libretto w/o any problems, but I've been unable to
recreate the feet with my new Vaio.

I've also seen software out there that tries in userland to turn on
and off the BREAK character to do remote control things that aren't a
serial protocol.  Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't since it
is trying to do critical timing in userland...

Warner