Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 2010 20:25:12 +0100
From:      Markus Gebert <markus.gebert@hostpoint.ch>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>, Martin Matuska <mm@FreeBSD.org>, George Mamalakis <mamalos@eng.auth.gr>
Subject:   Re: chflags on zfs (sappnd)

On 17.11.2010, at 20:00, Andriy Gapon wrote:

> on 17/11/2010 18:38 Markus Gebert said the following:
>>=20
>> On 17.11.2010, at 11:49, George Mamalakis wrote:
>>=20
>>> Hi everbody,
>>>=20
>>> from http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFS I understand that chflags are =
supported by zfs. But if I have a file with sappnd on a zfs filesystem, =
I am unable to execute a command like this:
>>>=20
>>> # touch lili
>>> # chflags sappnd lili
>>> # ls -lrto lili
>>> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  sappnd 5 Nov 17 12:38 lili
>>> # echo "lala" >> lili
>>> # echo "lala" >> lili
>>> -su: echo: write error: Operation not permitted
>>>=20
>>> So, the first time it worked, but it stops working on any consequent =
time (when the file is no more empty).
>>> I found a bug report on:
>>>=20
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D149495
>>=20
>> And:
>>=20
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D151082&cat=3Dkern
>>=20
>>=20
>>> where a patch is suggested. Nevertheless, even though my sources are =
newer than the suggested patch, my source tree does not contain it.
>>> Do we know anything more about it?
>>=20
>> The fix was committed to CURRENT on Oct 8th (r213634). The commit =
message talks about MFC after a week, however to me it looks like the =
fix hasn't made it to 8-STABLE yet.
>>=20
>> Also, there seems to be a related commit r213673 which essentially =
reverts r213634 and has a more general approach to handling ioflags with =
zfs. This commit was on Oct 10th, again 1 week MFC grace period, again =
not in 8-STABLE yet, at least to my knowlegde.
>>=20
>> Maybe MFC was simply forgotten, maybe there's a good reason to delay =
it, I don't know. We're using my patch (the one mentioned in the PRs) =
for now and append-only works as intended. Applying the changes in =
r213673 to 8-STABLE might be an option too, if you're considering =
patching to get the append flag working.
>>=20
>> Anyway, hopefully one of these fixes gets MFCd to 8-STABLE soon.
>>=20
>=20
> Good analysis, but did you forget to CC the committer(s)?
> It is known that sometimes the committers do need a gentle (or not so) =
nudging :-)

Right :-) mm@ and pjd@ now CCed.

Markus