Date:      13 Nov 2000 14:53:56 -0800
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libc shlib version

 * From: John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>

 * Thinking about this some more ... does the upgrade kit contain a new
 * libc?  It's hard for me to see how these errors could happen if it
 * didn't.

Yes it does.

 *          If it contains a new libc, that seems like the real problem
 * to me.  It's always risky to use new libs (especially libc) with an
 * old kernel.

New ports and packages didn't work with the old libc because someone
moved stuff from libxpg4 to libc without changing the version numbers.
Putting it in the upgrade kit was the only way to let 4.0R people use
ports-current.

Maybe I should have insisted that the libc version change back then.
I really wish we could keep the two version numbers from a.out, so I
don't have to worry about stuff like this. :<

Satoshi