Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 11:50:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How important is "the OS?"

On 26-Jun-98 David Wolfskill wrote:

>                       <Insert blank look here>
>
> What, pray tell, is wrong with using a text editor to write programs?
>
> Please recall that the final letter of "HTML" stands for "Language".

I agree with you 99% here David... I *almost* always do my web pages entirely
by hand.  However, it DOES make it difficult to create very complex pages
with complicated layouts, especially with a lot of frames, forms and tables.  A
wysiwyg editor can help under those circumstances, and you can always edit the
final output by hand.  Generally if I'm designing a very complex web
page/series of pages (which is almost never, since I hate complex web pages :-)
I'll resort to some kind of web designer program to assist in the initial
stages.

> Then again, I dislike driving an automobile with an automatic
> transmission....  :-}

Actually, here I have to disagree... automatic transmissions have MAJOR
advantages over manual, afaic.  Your car is far better than you at determining
what gear it needs to be in, IMO, and you're likely to actually save gas with
an automatic transmission, as well as put less wear and tear on the engine.  I
like being in control of things as much as you do, but this is one area where I
prefer to let modern technology take care of itself.

> Each to his or her own, though,

True, true...

E-Mail: Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>