Date:      Wed, 06 Nov 2013 06:09:28 -0600
From:      Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Edwin L. Culp W." <edwinlculp@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I'm having conflicts with pkg pkg_ and portmaster .

--NHHmCqtrjmcd8Qone6O3AkEM0MQltp1LW

On 11/5/2013 1:05 PM, Edwin L. Culp W. wrote:
> I try to use only portmaster and/or directly with the port using make,
> etc.  It seems like the pkg stuff ends up biting me every so often.  I =
far
> prefer compiling to packages.
>=20
> Hopefully my question is simple.  I would love to make the pkg stuff
> disappear and only use the ports tree directly or with portmaster.

portmaster is a wrapper around ports. Ports always use a package
management tool behind the scenes. It used to be the
pkg_create/pkg_add/pkg_info tools. Going forward it is pkg (if you have
WITH_PKGNG=3Dyes in make.conf).

portmaster does support the old tools still and the new one.

Did you previously run pkg2ng? Did you add WITH_PKGNG=3Dyes to your
make.conf? If so you cannot go backwards and there is no reason to do so.=

>=20
> Somehow I seem to manage to create these problems on most of my ports:
>=20
>         =3D=3D=3D>>> No ORIGIN in /var/db/pkg/gutenprint-base-5.2.8/+CO=
NTENTS
>=20
>         =3D=3D=3D>>> No ORIGIN in /var/db/pkg/gutenprint-cups-5.2.8_1/+=
CONTENTS
>=20
> I have a list of my installed ports so I am tempted to just eliminate A=
LL