Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 13:50:56 -0500
From:      Kevin Havener <kevin.havener@afccc.af.mil>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't resolve localhost

Ben Smithurst wrote:

> Kevin Havener wrote:
>
> > I suddenly can't resolve localhost.  I found this when I tried
> > fetching my mail with fetchmail.  It gave me this error message.

> What do you get if you kdump the output of "ktrace ping localhost", for
> example?
>
> >      # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
> >      ifconfig_ppp0="inet   netmask 255.255.255.0"
> >      moused_enable="YES"
> >      defaultrouter="NO"
> >      network_interfaces="ppp0 lo0"
> >      hostname="freebsd"
> >      linux_enable="YES"
> >      lpd_enable="YES"
> >      browserPackage="lynx"
>
> ah... where's the ifconfig_lo0 line? That could cause problems. You need
> ifconfig_lo0="127.0.0.1"

I'll try this when I get home tonight.  I'll check the
/etc/defaults/rc.conf to see that I didn't muck it up, but I'm pretty
sure I heeded the advice to make local changes in /etc/rc.conf.  I've
put a fake domain in my hosts file, didn't make any difference.  When I
had my cvsup problem, had to make sure that my hosts file had
"127.0.0.1	localhost freebsd" in it, and I think the order was
important, too.
As you can see, this has always been flaky for me.  How would I make
sure the hosts file gets re-read by the system (besides rebooting)?
Maybe I haven't been consistent in this respect.

thanks for the help
Kevin