Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 1996 23:01:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mike Kercher <mike@synwork.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Swap Space Disappeared

On Sun, 22 Dec 1996, Mike Kercher wrote:

> I'm running a 2.1.5-RELEASE box and had 4 IDE drives in it.  I removed one
> of the drives to use in another machine (had no critical files...personal
> storage only).  Anyway, after removing the entries in /etc/fstab for that
> device, my swap space is now gone and it is/was on a different drive.  Is
> there anyway of seeing if the slice of the drive is still there,
> reinitiating the swap space or creating a new swap space?

You can use disklabel -r to look at the disklabels and see if you have any
B partitions assigned on your disks.  You can then edit /etc/fstab to
point to the new swap space.

You'd have either to destroy & recreate your partitions in order to get
more swap space, or lose some speed and create a vmswap (?) file.  I can't
remember the actual name.  See the mail archives for this solution, I
think someone posted it a while back.