Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 13:34:37 -0800
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fortran in the base system (was Re: sysinstall)

On Wed, Dec 16, 1998 at 02:20:34PM -0700, Nate Williams wrote:

> Very few students know Fortran, unless they are required to learn it to
> help our their teachers maintain existing code. :(

There are lots of new astronomers who learn (or at least absorb)
Fortran as undergraduates, not because they need to maintain old
code, but because that's what everyone around them uses.  There's
Fortran books lying about, there's decades of Fortran experience
to ask questions of, etc.

In my experience, astronomers who write C code still look like
they're writing Fortran. :-)

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com> * Science rules.
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/pgp.key for PGP public key 0x67203349.