Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 02:33:53 +0100
From:      Nuno Teixeira <nunotex@pt-quorum.com>
To:        Ian <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: enable/disable softupdates in rc init idea

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 12:46:04PM -0600, Ian wrote:
> >> I'm talking about those who don't have console access and their system
> >> was installed without softupdates on.
> >
> > I just stick the appropriate tunefs lines at the top of /etc/rc, reboot, and
> > then take the lines out again.
> >
> > Chris
> >

> That strikes me as a much more sensible way to handle the problem than the
> original proposal, considering that enabling is very much a one-shot thing.
>
> -- Ian

    Hi Ian,

    Yes. This is what I'm looking for.

    Suppose that when we do a:

    	1. tunefs -n enable||disable <filesystem> (any filesystem, any
    state rw, ro ,etc)

    	2. tunefs puts a "softupdate" bit on that filesystem

    	3. reboot, so that bit "softupdate" take effect

    I think this is a very "cool" solution but I don't know the
    complications with `tunefs' C code.

    As you say, this is a "one-shot thing". There is the problem with
    including this in /rc/ (like I said): "It works ok but this method is
    *stupid* because we need to activate softupdates *only once* and not every
    time that we reboot/start the machine.

    Thanks very much for your and all replies,

    		Nuno Teixeira

--

/*
PGP fingerprint: