Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 05:28:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, jlk@pavilion.co.uk
Subject:   Re: probing scsi bus after boot?

> Huh?  I just do this on /dev/sd0 or some other - it works great!
> I use it to detect my scanner after power-up all the time.

The super SCSI device is needed when nothing is on the bus at boot
- you then need a way into the system for that case.  Try putting
your scanner on its own bus with no SCSI devices (I forgot - you
NEVER have a system with no SCSI devices).  The super SCSI device
should support bus configuration (such as reprobe) and "device
target" types of calls ("become this SCSI NEXUS").  It is essentially
a SCSI bus device.

I added it when I was doing some work with a prototype device on
a dedicated bus that was frequently not powered up.

IMHO super SCSI should be left working this way, maybe renamed to
be a bus device.  The SCSI user code should be ripped out with
extreme prejudice - it is superceded by the newer configuration
code.

The code suffers from no use and no test.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936