Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 21:08:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kwoody <kwoody@citytel.net>
To:        Nick Thompson <nick@imperial.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Nick Thompson wrote:

> when i do that... it runs fine, but when i try to go out onto the net, it
> goes to my FreeBSD box instead of the net.. and the default route is set
> to localhost.. and when i try to change it to what it is supposed to be,
> it just goes right back.

I dont know alot about this but what how is your ethernet device
configured on your Sparc? Maybe post your netstat output?

I have ed0 setup as:

bash# ifconfig ed0
ed0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ether 00:c0:f0:0b:8f:9b

And the sun as:

apocalypse# ifconfig le0
le0: flags=63<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING>
        inet 192.168.0.3 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.0
        ether 8:0:20:6:99:e9

Broadcasts are different, but doesnt seem to make a diff. Anyway as a
sysadmin you must know more about this than I. Plus I would imagine your
runnning Solaris, which is alot different than the SunOS v4.1 that I run
and is partially broken. (a few libs missing...have not re-installed the
OS since I got these machines.) Acuutally suprised that this sun even
runs as it is...try to run vi:

apocalypse# vi
ld.so: libc.so.1: not found

Not good, but the machine runs...go figure.

Anyway from my limited Unix knowledge, a few books and some FAQ's I was
able to add this sun to my network and make things go....ummm...also I
diddled with my hosts and networks file. What do they say?

Anyway dont know if this helped, probably not so I'll just stop here and
try not to make it worse. :)

kwoody@citytel.net