Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:48:42 +0100
From:      Arne Norre Ekstroem <aneks@ti.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Ben Weaver <sid67@tranquility.net>, Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
Subject:   Re: Problems booting 4.1 on 45G drive

Ben Weaver wrote:

> So, describe what you are doing to set it up.
>
> Do you have other Operating Systems on this drive or will it be FreeBSD only?
>
> When you say the installation completes without errors, it has fdisked, labeled, and installed the necissary files on your drive, then asked you a couple of questions such as whether the machine will be a leaf node or not, then asked for a root password and the option so set up a non-root user, then it tells you the installtion is complete and asks you to restart the computer?
>
> When sysinstall comes up, and you get to the fdisk part, are you making:
>
> 1. One giant partition
> 2. Several small partitions
>
> Once you're done making the partitions, and you get into the label editor do you:
>
> 1. Select autodefaults for all
> 2. Specify one giant / partition
> 3. Create several partitions consisting of sizes you want (i.e. 100mb /, 2gb /var, 280mb swap, 42gb /usr, and so on and so forth)

Hi,

Thanks for all the help, everything is working now.

My drive is an IBM Deskstar, I don't have the drive right here so the exact
model name eludes me. Send me an email if you would like the info.

I was so FreeBSD minded that I was running the disk in dedicated mode. My small
experiment with a 50Mb root partition was a freebsd partition on a dedicate mode
disk. Perhaps, this does not work on cylinder > 1024 ?

Anyway, doing slices(fdisk partitions) with one partition on each solved the
problem.

I think the installer should be improved as to test for the bootability of the
system. The optimum solution would of course be to fix the boot loader.

Best Regards,

Arne

--
Arne Norre Ekstroem, M.Sc.E.E., RF Development, mailto:aneks@ti.com
Texas Instruments A/S, Sofiendalsvej 85, DK-9200 Aalborg SV, Denmark