Date:      Thu, 04 Nov 1999 18:47:35 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp (Kazutaka YOKOTA), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vga driver and signal

> > The only real way to do this "right" is going to be to have the X
> > server load a KLD, which will then be able to hook the relevant
> > interrupt(s).  Any other alternative involves interrupt delivery to
> > user-space, which is just not practical.
>
> Hi Mike,
> Your idea sounds intriguing . How should we wired the KLD to
> the X server? or how will the KLD inform the X server that it
> has received a vertical retrace interrupt .

The X server would have to load the KLD when it starts.  The KLD would
have to contain _all_ of the code that would run when the interrupt
triggered.  You would still have absolutely no latency guarantee on
delivery of the interrupt to the KLD; you'd have to check on entry to
the handler to see whether you weren't already too late.

Basically, the whole idea is just totally screwed.  You shouldn't be
trying to do this because it just can't be done right.