Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 10:33:39 -0700
From:      "Gravel, Emmanuel (AZ77)" <Emmanuel.Gravel@CAS.honeywell.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Users home directory

I had problems loging in as the new users I created.  The solution
(which works) makes no sense to me whatsoever.  I had made the
users belong to a new group I created (home).  I had made the full
path to the user's home dirs group rwx.  I was always getting errors
about the .login.conf file being in a _secure_path and the user not
having a home dir.  I then changed the ownership of the dirs to
group wheel (up to and not including their personnal dir) and
making everthing g-o r.x.  This worked.  The reason why I can't
figure out what the problem was is that the users belonged
primarily in group "home" and had full privilege to the dirs.  Since
that's the case, where did it block?  Is it the login process which
doesn't have the necessary privileges?  What else could explain
to me why I couldn't log in before making the dirs world read/exec?

TIA

Manu