Date:      Fri, 5 Feb 1999 10:48:06 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp: .Fx and .Os macros in groff, FreeBSD]

Is it too stupid to wonder why these macros aren't simply, say,

.de Fx
.nr cF \\n(.f
.nr cZ \\n(.s
.ds aa \&\f\\n(cF\s\\n(cZ
.if \\n(.$==2 \{\
\&\\*(tNFreeBSD\\*(aa \\$1\\*(aa\\$2
.\}
.if \\n(.$==1 \{\
\&\\*(tNFreeBSD\\*(aa \\$1\\*(aa
.\}
..

?  I mean, I suppose it's meant to ensure that people only use released
version numbers in .Fx macros, but the current implementation certainly
has about the worst failure mode, especially since nobody remembers
to update it...

Plus, the extra \\*(aa is just clutter; the font and size have
already been reset by the first \\*(aa.  Also, positional parameters
are replaced with empty strings if they don't exist (at least in
our groff), so the macro could be further reduced to:

.de Fx
.nr cF \\n(.f
.nr cZ \\n(.s
.ds aa \&\f\\n(cF\s\\n(cZ