Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 2016 12:50:38 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing owncloud downgrades mysql57

--4PSUKJ8A0o9PFt77nqOpJH73fHtwGW523

On 01/29/16 12:14, Marius Schamschula wrote:
> I=E2=80=99m new to FreeBSD, but rather familiar to *NIX OSs (20 years o=
> various flavors of Linux, IRIX and (Mac) OS X/Darwin).
>=20
> I'm attempting to install owncloud-8.2.2 under FreeBSD 10.2.>
> I previously have installed mysql57 client and server. To my dismay I f=
ind
>=20
> Installed packages to be REMOVED:
> 	mysql57-server-5.7.10_1
> 	mysql57-client-5.7.10_1
>=20
> to be replaced by=20
> 	mysql56-client: 5.6.27
>=20
> No mention no replacement of mysql56-server. I=E2=80=99m not sure how
> owncloud is expected to work w/o a working mysql-server. Never mind
> that there may be backward incompatible changes between mysql56 and
> mysql57.

That's one of those things: mysql57-client was removed because it
conflicts with mysql56-client, and then mysql57-server was removed
because it depends on mysql57-client.  However, once that happens,
there's nothing that depends on mysql56-server to bring it in: your
owncloud application only depends on mysqlXX-client -- which makes sens
if you think about it: your mysql server could be on an entirely
different machine and then you'ld be annoyed if you were forced to
install mysqlXX-server where it wasn't needed.

> It is somewhat unclear to me where in the dependency tree
> mysql56-client: 5.6.27 is specified, i.e. if owncloud or one of its
> dependencies makes this request.
>=20
> I suppose I could do a mysqldump, and restore into mysql56-server,
> but I really want to be using the current stable branch (as defined
> upstream).
>=20
> Is there any way to specify which version of mysql to use, i.e. a
> variant? Under MacPorts I=E2=80=99d use something like
>=20
> port install owncloud +mysql57
>=20
> (if there were such a package - the case insensitive files system
> precludes installing owncloud under OS X).

This is a well known limitation of binary packages under FreeBSD at the
moment.  Dependencies on exact versions of packages are baked in, which
means it is particularly hard to use alternate versions of software
systems like python or php or perl and the system provided packages.

Mysql as a case in point is always going to be harder to substitute in
because here the specific dependency is required because of the
libmysql.so ABI version.

However, the answer here is to compile your own packages -- effectively
the same as what you're doing with MacPorts.  To do that, look at this
section in the Handbook:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

To prefer ports to build and link against mysql57, add this to the
DEFAULT_VERSIONS variable in /etc/make.conf:

DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=3D  mysql=3D5.7

(There are many other bits of software you can switch default versions
in the same way)

	Cheers,

	Matthew