Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 00:31:23 +0000 ()
From:      David Nugent <davidn@sdev.blaze.net.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: XF86 & fvwm Problem, Help? (fwd)

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Greg Lehey wrote:

>> I'm going back to startx, unless you can give me some reason why I
>> should consider xdm that isn't obvious to the uninitiated, and tell
>> me how to REALLY get out of it.
>
>xdm is great for people who never want (nor need) to see a character
>mode display.

I must be missing something. What's wrong with Ctrl-Alt-F? to get
back to your character term vts while X is running? Works fine
here. Works especially well for solving problems (like X locking
up) that you describe.

> Unfortunately, not everything runs under X, and xdm
>effectively takes away some of your freedom.

Does something not run in an xterm?

Yeah, sure, it is certainly a matter of personal preference, and
X isn't the panacea. :)

> I use xinit myself, and
>for the life of me I can't recall what the difference is from startx.
>Not much, anyway.  You could consider them interchangeable.

Startup and login are somewhat different. Your shell logins, for
example, aren't read unless you such them into your .xsession.

Regards,
David

David Nugent, Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-791-9547 Data/BBS +61-3-792-3507 3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn