Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 08:33:52 +1030
From:      Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall: is it really at the end of its lifecycle?

On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 07:47:00AM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:

 > On 1999-Dec-14 18:36:04 +1100, Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net> wrote:
 > >As far as the successor to sysinstall goes, I think it would be
 > >nice to have both a console version and an X version, with some X
 > >tookit such as Lesstif or Qt, or Tcl/Tk.
 >
 > I know Jordan mentioned Qt before his over-enthusiastic hand-waving
 > made him over-balance, but Lesstif and Qt (or anything else related to
 > X11) have a number of serious problems.

That's ok;  He also said it could be back-ended by TurboVision, with
the decision of which GUI to use based on whether you had a $DISPLAY
environment variable set.

 > Given the primary mission of sysinstall is to load FreeBSD, I'd
 > go so far as to say that developing an X version would be wasting
 > valuable developer resources (IMHO, of course).

Long-term, do we want the installer to be a program whose primary mission
is to load FreeBSD, or would we prefer a generic framework which provides
the situation where loading FreeBSD doesn't differ markedly from loading
(and configuring!) any particular package or subsystem after the initial
installation event?

I think I'll pick the latter.

    - mark

--