Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:27:03 -0400
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Gary Hayers <Gary@hayers.org>
Cc:        'FreeBSD-Ports' <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: New port?

>> (04.14.2004 @ 0215 PST): Gary Hayers said, in 0.7K: <<
> Christopher Vance wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 03:53:29PM +0100, Gary Hayers wrote:
> >> I have written my first port and submitted the pr, can anyone please
> >> tell me how long it takes to get it placed into the cvs repository?
> >
> > Mine took 9 months and was broken on arrival.
> >
> > --
> > Christopher Vance
>
> Eeks lol. I was hoping to have it in there before the ports freeze.
>> end of "RE: New port?" from Gary Hayers <<

Gary -

I've found that in general, the following things tend to delay the
addition of a new port:

* Any build errors; committers may test it, get frustrated, and give up
* Not passing portlint -A
* Use of hardware/devices/programs that very few committers to; we want
  to test stuff, especially from new committers
* Many dependencies; this is just a PITA (nothing to be done about these
  last two items, really)
* Any bizarre tricks or manoeuvres in the Makefile, created by not
  knowing a better way... if you had to guess at anything, check it
  against other ports
* Asking when your port will get committed; I stay away from PRs that
  generate those requests
* Being seen as encouraging people who whine about the crappy treatment
  they received by committers, like we owe the world some fast response
  time or something

Double-check your port. If it has any technical issues, fix them. And
don't feed those who troll.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger