Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 1995 17:34:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Wes Santee <wsantee@wsantee.oz.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   xdm with pcvt

I'm trying to keep an xdm session open on screen 4 at all times so I
don't have to keep starting X whenever I login.  However, I don't want
the xdm login screen to be the default since I usually prefer
character mode screens.

I'm using the pcvt console driver and in rc.local I'm doing this:

  /usr/sbin/scon -c 3		# go to screen 4
  /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -daemon	# fire up xdm
  sleep 10			# give xdm some time to start
  /usr/sbin/scon -c 0		# come back to preferred login screen

When I reboot, I see xdm start, come up with the graphical login, then
switch back to screen 1.  However, if I hit CTRL+ALT+F4, the xdm
screen is gone and I'm met with just a blank (character mode) screen.

If I login as root, kill the process referred to as (xdm), then
switch back to screen 4, xdm resets, comes up, and I never have a
problem with it.

Is there anyway to keep the xdm session of screen 4 happy during
bootup?  This is a -stable box, BTW.

Cheers,
--
( -Wes Santee                        | You're never dead 'til you're )
( wsantee@wsantee.oz.net (preferred) | out of quarters.  --InSoc     )