Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 22:11:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Frank Seltzer <frankd@yoda.fdt.net>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cool Web page interface to mail + search engine?

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Amancio Hasty wrote:

> Odd, I think that you think like a Physics. There are LAWS which can
> not be broken.
>
> Terry, I am going to leave this simple exercise for you to solve .
> When you have a "cool" solution, please let us know about it.

And your simple solution, as you stated in your previous message, is to
manually read and thread the messages. Are you the one who is going to
read hundreds of messages a day and thread them for all the lists? Would
it not make more sense to have the computer hosting the lists do this?

If so, how would the computer know how to thread the messages if no
In-Reply-To header exists? I suppose that if you are a competent enough
programmer, you could code the intelligence necessary for the machine to
read all messages and determine where in the hierarchy each should go. Can
we look forward to seeing an alpha version of your code soon?

Terry has made a valid point that you have not addressed. I think that
your personal feelings toward Terry are clouding your thoughts.

> 	Amancio
>

> >From The Desk Of Terry Lambert :
> > > It is just a distraction from Terry for now just ignore it and
> > > concentrate on the real project .
> >
> > Ignore this:	HOW WILL YOU DESIGNATE A MESSAGE'S THREAD WITHOUT
> > 		AN "In-Reply-To:" HEADER?
> >
> > That's the point of the discussion.
> >

> > 					Regards,
> > 					Terry Lambert
> > 					terry@lambert.org
> > ---
> > Any opinions in this posting are my own and not those of my present
> > or previous employers.

Frank
--
Only in America can a homeless veteran sleep in a cardboard box while a
draft dodger sleeps in the White House - anonymous