Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 1995 19:06:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        JMDority@ix.netcom.com (Justin M. Dority)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Technical Specifications on FreeBSD 2.0.5

> Dear Sirs:
unfotunatly very true..
;)

>      I am interested in FreeBSD v2.0.5 and would like to know the technical
> specifications of this product
> (e.g. number of virtual consoles,
number of function keys is  a limit,
if you include login sessions over the net, gee, 100?
depends on how much cpu/memory you give it and what they are doing?

> minimum install size,
depends what it is to do.. the 'fixit floppy; is a good minimal
system.. requires no disk at all, has everything in memeory..
you need > 4MB to use it though..
oddly enough it's a bit restrictive..
you could NFS mount from there and do everything over the net..
(many people do this)
(you can boot off the net.)

everything from 10MB up to infinite,
depending on how many packages you load..

> maximum distributed install size,
(2 CDs = 650MB x 2)
I find 500MB a convenient size..
I can compile everything on that and keep the intermediate files
and still have some spare room.
My laptop has 175MB and I have X11 on it and full development environment.
(and kernel sources) I compile kernels there and still have room.

> compatibility with Linux 1.2.8,
depends on what you mean..
we can run (many) Linux binaries directly (e.g. doom)
system configuration is similar for those things that are Unix
standard but BSD tends to take the BSD view and Linux tends toward the
sysV view..  compared to DOS of course they are more similar than differnt..
compared to just unix they are quite differnt..

see the web page at www.FreeBSD.org

> and would appreciate it if you could send me some information on this
> product.

> One concern is where the password files are stored, whether in
> /etc/passwd or another location.
/etc/passwd holds all info except the passwd itself
which is held in a file readable by root only..
this is known as a "Shadow Password file"
and is pretty much standard in unixes these days..
all other fields in the passwd file are as you'd expect..
three's also a ndbm database of the information to help speed up accesses.

> I would like something as close to
> standard UNIX as possible.
It's very standard.. looks just like SunOS in many ways.

>                                         Sincerely,
>                                             Justin M. Dority
>                                             (JMDority@ix.netcom.com)
grab a copy of the boot floppy from ftp.freebsd.org
and just boot it..