Date:      Wed,  4 Dec 96 21:00:01 +0700
From:      "Victor A. Sudakov" <victor@vas.tomsk.su>
To:        dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "talk" does not work. Please help.

>   > When a dial-up user logs in into my computer via a modem and I
>   > wish to talk to him, "talk" would not run, it just says:
>   >
>   > [Couldn't bind to control socket : Can't assign requested address (49)]
>   >
>   > and exits.
>   >
>   > If you have any ideas what the problem might be, I would be
>   > very grateful.
>
>   I believe, and someone please correct me, that this means that the talk
>   daemon is not running on your machine.  Ensure that 'ntalkd' is set to run
>   in /etc/inetd.conf, then kill -HUP inetd.

It is NOT commented out in /etc/inetd.conf

>   > BTW, as I do not have a permanent IP address, ppp negotiates it
>   > every time when I dial out to my provider, I wrote in the
>   > /etc/hosts file something like:
>   >
>   > 127.0.0.1       localhost
>   > 10.0.0.1        vas.tomsk.su vas
>   >
>   > Is this correct or should I have written something different?
>   > What is usually written there if there is no permanent IP
>   > address?
>
>   You're OK, I think.  I'd make sure you can ping and telnet to yourself
>   while you're online, just to make sure talk is connecting properly.

The following works:

ping localhost
telnet localhost

This DOES NOT work:

ping vas.tomsk.su
telnet vas.tomsk.su

I think this is where the problem is. There is no route and no
interface for 10.0.0.1

But I have no idea how I could tune the appropriate interface.
I have tun and sl devices compiled into the kernel but I have
only dynamic IP address so I cannot have something like
ifconfig_tun0 in my /etc/sysconfig. Or can I?

Just look what I have in the network section of /etc/sysconfig

--------------------- cut here ------------------

######################### Start Of Netconfig Section #######################

hostname=vas.tomsk.su

[...]

network_interfaces="lo0"
ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"

static_routes="loopback"
route_loopback="${hostname} localhost"

[...]

I would very much appreciate any input especially from those
people who do not have a permanent IP address and no local
network. How do you tune your /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig?

---
Victor A. Sudakov                          E-mail: victor@vas.tomsk.su
Center of Information Technologies         FidoNet: 2:5005/49
Tomsk Region Education Department          Telephone: +7 3822 224916
Tomsk, Russian Federation                  Telefax:   +7 3822 225912