Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 2009 10:33:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
Cc:        Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getting a callback ip address for nfsv4 client

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009, Max Laier wrote:

[Tim's good stuff snipped]

> Well, the client also needs to listen at the address - that is a local
> decision.
For now, it just listens on INADDR_ANY, but I suppose there's an argument
for adding an option to the daemon to set an address, to restrict it to
listening on one interface? (I do currently have a sysctl variable for
overriding what rtalloc1() returns, but that requires manual intervention.
There is an argument for setting the port#. Does someone have to set the
port in the NAT gateway manually or is there a protocol/library for
doing that?

> This is much like the problem with active mode FTP - and it has the
> same problems with NAT (i.e. the NAT service must be aware of the protocol and
> translate the address inside).  The alternative is to use things like UPnP to
> retrieve an external address mapping ... there are libraries to deal with
> that.

Are these libraries in FreeBSD-CURRENT? If so, please point me towards
them, so I can take a look. Since the callback daemon starts out in
userland, talking to userland libraries to handle NAT shouldn't be a
problem.

Thanks for the help sofar, rick