Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 07:43:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: buildworld breakage during "make depend" at usr.bin/kdump

This is a quick heads-up.

If you have built -CURRENT within the last couple of days, and if you try
to use that (recently-built -CURRENT) as the host system for building
-CURRENT, the 3 patches I posted last night do appear to get through
the build process, but the result is a system that does not boot.

I was just recently able to hit "Pause" on the keyboard at just the
right moment to see that a message is issued very early in the boot
process:

name not found
Assertion failed: (FALSE), funtion ficlCompileSoftCore, file softcor

[and that appears to be where I hit Pause].

My *very* strong suspicion is that there are portions of the ficl build
that use awk constructs that recent -CURRENT awk now treats differently,
and usually silently.

I will investigate and see what I can turn up for causes & fixes.

More later,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.