Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:01:56 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        bill <bill@TechServSys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw, ipfilter

> From: "bill" <bill@TechServSys.com>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:51:23 -0400
> Subject: ipfw, ipfilter
>
> (please pardon if I misspelled ipfw - the freeBSD machine is now
> unavailable to me)

    you got the name right.

> I am used to using ipfilter, but note in rc.conf ipfw is enabled.  Is
> this a different firewall, or something different ?

    ipfw is a FreeBSD-specific firewall.

> Do I need to do anything to enable ipfilter besides override the
> ipfilter entry in /etc/defaults/rc.conf

    you don't want to mangle /etc/defaults/.

> in /etc/rc.conf  and write the
> ipfilter rules ?  Should I, do I need to disable ifpw ?

    if it's *really* started, you'll want to disable it. neither
    firewall (ipfw / ipfilter) is started by default, however. do you
    see anything like "Kernel firewall module loaded" during startup?
    if that is the case, all you need is firewall_enable="NO" in
    /etc/rc.conf. from reading /etc/rc.network at least it looks like
    that should cover you.

--
FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE
3:51PM up 5 days, 21:44, 15 users, load averages: 0.09, 0.06, 0.06