Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 1995 05:54:43
From:      ahill@netspace.net.au (Anthony Hill)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ahill@netspace.net.au
Subject:   2.0R as PPP client

OK , I really NEED some help here if someone could please spare the time,

I want to get my 486DX2-66 set up so I can connect via a 28800 modem to my
Internet provider. (as a client - I want to be able to mail, ftp, and telnet
out, and preferably in as well.)

OK, the file 'pppd' exists in /usr/sbin and directory /etc/ppp also exists,
and contains the 'options' file from the ppp faq, the only changes to it being
the addition of my system's domain name, and the IP of my Internet provider.

I have run the /stand/bininst script, and setup the network addrs etc.

I have tryed to establish a connection with my provider via the modem using
kermit as indicated in the PPP.faq (my modem is on COM2)

Kermit replies to:   set line /dev/tty01    with "Sorry, cant open connection:
/dev/tty01: inappropriate ioctl for device.  So I try:  set line /dev/ttyd1
- Kermit stops responding to me, and the modem never starts.

OK - so I try tip cua01 ( I have added a cua01 entry in  /etc/remote ) and I
am able to manually configure, and dial the modem, connect with the provider,
and start PPP on the remote host. Now I exit tip, making sure the modem
does not lose carrier.    (&d0)

Now I type /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/tty01 38400 (38400 being the speed of com2 as
stated in the /etc/remote file.), and pppd responds with Sorry - PPP is not
avalible on this system. I try the same again, except using the ttyd1 device,
and get the same result.

Thanks

Anthony Hill
Senior Customer Support Technician