Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 10:17:37 -0700
From:      drew <drew@kmfms.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb -> kernel panic: fatal trap 12 during boot (FIXED)

Problem solved. My hunch about the IRQ issue proved to be correct.

Synopsis:

The Abit BP-6 mainboard is not very careful in automatic distribution of device IRQs. If the USB controller's IRQ is shared with another device, fatal trap 12 occurs when attempting to initialize the controller during bootstrap. This is not immediately obvious, even when looking at "dmesg | grep irq". With the BP-6, you can see the problem in the "PCI device list" printed just before bootstrap. The solution is to explicitly set the IRQ of the USB controller or the conflicting device in the BIOS to another, unused value.

The original problem ocurred when attempting to add support for a USB Iomega ZIP 100 drive, in 4.0R GENERIC kernel with SMP and USB enabled.

Dmitry Kavarov related a similar problem and confirmed my suspicion re: device IRQs in another forum. He saved me a day of kernel debugging. Thanks, Dmitry.

Other users I talked to reported similar problems on notebook computers, so this default shared-IRQ problem is ny no means only related to the BP-6. I don't think it's very smart of mainboard manufacturers to have problemic default settings like that. Especially the Abit BP-6, which actually mentions FreeBSD as a supported OS in its manual.

I'm not sure if Hibma and crew have an FAQ providing solutions to common USB problems. If so, this would probably be a good addition, as the BP-6 is a popular board, and I didn't find the problem to be self-evident (in my experience, it usually takes more than an IRQ fudge to panic a modern *BSD kernel).

I'm just glad it was something "slap your forehead and say 'doh!'" instead of something "fix it in the next stable kernel". ;-)