Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 22:27:54 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall DOESN'T ASK, dangerous defaults!

At 01:13 AM 9/23/2000, Wes Peters wrote:

>Drew Derbyshire wrote:
> >
> > > Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
> > > Brett, did it ever occur to you THESE ARE THE DEFAULTS because MOST
> > > PEOPLE WANT THEM THAT WAY?
> >
> > Did you take a survey?
>
>Yes.  The lack of complaints from anybody other than Brett Glass constitutes
>our unofficial, non-scientific survey.

You forget: I wasn't the one who started this thread. I merely indicated
my agreement.

> > Most people also want a secure system.  Don't even get me started about
> > rlogin/rsh being on by default in /etc/inetd.conf.
>
>Most people wouldn't know a secure system if it bit them in the nose.

It's sad how many arguments for NOT improving FreeBSD are based on
what I can only call hacker elitism. Of COURSE a super-experienced
hacker can deal with a user-hostile install, secure the system
manually, etc. given lots of time and knowledge. So?

> > IMHO, many people wouldn't know NFS if it bit them in the nose.
>
>Funny, every place I've worked for the past 15 years has used NFS quite
>extensively.  Oh, but then, I've been working in UNIX shops for quite
>some time.

I have worked with UNIX since 1977, and rarely use NFS. At least in
part because it stands for "No File Security...."

--Brett Glass

SOCIAL SECURITY: I say we scrap the current system and
replace it with a system wherein you add your name to
the bottom of a list, and then you send some money to
the person at the top of the list, and then you....
Oh, wait, that IS our current system. -- Dave Barry