Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 22:06:35 -0800
From:      scook@mail.island.net (Stan E. Cook)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Xwindows on ThinkPad365XD

Hey Guys/Gals;

I purchased FreeBSD from Walnut on CD ROM. I have a ThinkPad 365XD, P133,
1.3 Gig Drive,
CD ROM and so on. I wiped the drive, used PQ Magic to make four partitions:
DOS6.22/Win3.1,
OS/2, Windoze95 and BSD Unix. The BSD installation went without a hitch.
(There was a problem,
but it was with "System Commander, not BSD". I am a Rabid Unix fan, via the
Amiga.  (dead? I
don't THINK so...). Anyway, the first thing I had to do was get the mouse
(PS/2) going. I read the
FAQ and just followed the instructions. The one thing I was a bit
apprehensive about was whether
or not the monster would compile without a hitch. It DID! So now the mouse
works OK. Where I am
having difficulties is trying to get Xwindows to work CORRECTLY. That is to
say, I have run
xf86config sixty zillion times, trying just about every combination I can
think of. For example, I have
tried ALL the video drivers. The "mono vga", Super VGA, with various
resolutions and so on. I was
finally able to "get it up", but the O/S keeps setting the resolution to
1260X890 (or some other non
supported mode).

SuperProbe tells me the following;
First Video: Super VGA
Chipset: Trident LCD 9320
Memory: 1024 Kbytes
RAMDAC:
Sierra SC 1148{2,3,4} 15=bit or SC1148{5,7,9} 15/16 bit.
Hi Color (with 6 bit wide lookup tables or in 6 bit mode.

This machine supports up to 256 colours, and 640X480 and 800X600 on the LCD
screen.
In a lot of cases, after I have made the choices in xconfig, I "startx" and
it gives me a "no valid
modes found, setting resolution to (some ungawdly setting) This setting, (I
am pretty sure) is what
causes the double overlapping of the screen. It is highly pixellated, and
when you move the mouse
about, the background dutifully scrolls across..It sort of looks like it is
running the gawd awfull
setting in a 640X480 window.

A couple of things. The shit house manual IBM sends with the machine is
virtually useless. It does
not tell me what the horizontal sync rate is, so I have to guess when I run
xfconfig.

Another thing that really puzzles me is that I have enabled screen blanking
with the "stars" thingy.
It works fine. BUT IT TWINKLES IN LOVELY COLOURS! How come BSD has no
problem with the
colours with the "twinkling stars", (when Xwindows is not running....) but
cannot use (presumably)
the same video drivers when running Xwindows? (I would guess that when BSD
is running in the
CLI mode, it is using some other driver, ie, the one it boots up with...if I
found that, could I
somehow make Xwindows use it?)

OH yeah. I checked to the manual, the FAQ and the "monitors" files in the
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc
directory. While there ARE comments about the trident chip set, there
doesn't seem to be anything
about this particular set, and the fact they are used in this laptop. I also
read the "README.
trident" file, and followed the instructions there about using the TV9000
chipset and so on. I have
chosen the appropriate drivers when asked to do so, but.....

I hope you can help me here, as I have tried as much as I can with my
limited knowledge. As an
amiga person, I know a bit about the command line. "Alias", "head", "tail"
"cp" "mv" and so on.
Many of these commands were ported to AMI, and I prefer to work in the CLI
most of the time.
However, I DO get lazy, and I use the GUI too. (What I REALLY want to do
here is show UNIX
running XWindows, and tell the local WINDOZE yokels to blow it out their
ears....) Since I have no
Amiga now, (I sold it to an Airline pilot....I travel for a living, and I
could not continue to carry it
around. Sooner or later it, would have been damaged. I have owned Amigas
ever since they came
out in '85. A 1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000. ) I really get sick of listening to
these ignorant turkeys
crowing about the "SOOPER DOOPER AUDIO VISIUAL EFFECTS AND "TRUE MULTITASKING"
etc. It makes me want to tear out my hair.

I have yet to purchase the BSD system managers' guide, but I promise, I
will. (If you tell me it deals
with how to specifically "set up" the drivers in question, just say so and I
will wait until I have the
book.)

One final comment: Is anyone down there using Maple V running under BSD? I
purchased a copy
for my MacSE30, and it worked great. It's just a bit of a pain using the CLI
input. Have they fixed
that?

I look forward to reading from you.

Stan E. Cook.   BMath, University of Waterloo. (1981)
.............JEEZZ.....I SHOULDA STAYED IN SKOOL!...