Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 1996 17:22:33 -0300 (EST)
From:      "Lenzi, Sergio" <lenzi@cwbone.bsi.com.br>
To:        Lars Jonas Olsson <jonas@mcs.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 56kbps hardware?

On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, Lars Jonas Olsson wrote:

> The company I work for needs Internet access. I have been looking at
> 56kbps access using poinmt to point or frame relay.
I use an (assyc) v34 microcom mnp10 modems attached to a leased line
and at the com2 port (0x2f8) at 57.600bps. I use pppd for the sofware. I
have been happy with this configuration. I have setup 4 instalations using this
configuration

>  What hardware is recommended when using a FreeBSD server? My
> plan is to use a CSU/DSU connected to the PC, and the PC being
> the firewall. Is an external router preferable?
I use a 486DX2-66 or DX4-100 or DX2-80 using the modem on com2 and an
ethernet ne2000 for local lan. I setup a static route and subnet mask
according to the number of pc conected to the other side of the internet
provider (I use 0xfffffff0 as netmask).
Works fine (my ping time is 150ms) between the isp and the other peer.