Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 2002 16:08:33 -0500
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@attbi.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cannot open "/dev/ad0" on -CURRENT

On Wed, Dec 25, 2002 at 05:37:46AM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:31:10PM -0500, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
>
> > Any ideas what the problem could be?
>
> geom seems to have anti-foot-shooting measures in place to disallow
> access to the disk device when a partition on that disk is open.

Are you referring to this in src/sys/geom/geom_bsd.c?

    547 /*
    548  * If the user tries to overwrite our disklabel through an open partition
    549  * or via a magicwrite config call, we end up here and try to prevent
    550  * footshooting as best we can.
    551  */
    552 static void
    553 g_bsd_hotwrite(void *arg)

The result of this is that I booted off of a slice contained on  the
/dev/ad0 disk, then I cannot add new partitions to /dev/ad0
with sysinstall, even if I am root.

--
Craig Rodrigues
http://www.gis.net/~craigr