Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 2014 21:40:53 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Hang in boot

On 1 April 2014, at 00:52, Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> wrote:

> FreeBSD 9.2.  All of my systems are hanging during boot right after =
the screen that has the picture.  Its as if someone hit a space on the =
keyboard.  However, these systems have no keyboard.  If I plug one in, =
or use the serial console, and enter a return, the boot continues =
properly.
>=20
> I have in /boot.config:  -Dh
>=20
> I understood from the documentation that would output the boot =
messages to both the console and serial console if there is no keyboard. =
 Is that somehow stopping the boot?  I used to have just -P in =
/boot/config and never had the problem, but never saw the boot messages =
on the serial console if someone plugged in a keyboard.  These are all =
remote servers and I never know if there is a keyboard or not.
>=20

Some additional information:  The boot menu is displayed along with =
Beastie.  However, the line that says Autoboot in n seconds=85 never =
appears.  It just stops there.  These are all new install from CD =
systems.  I just used freebsd-update to take a toy server from 9.1 to =
9.2 and it doesn't exhibit this behavior.  It boots properly.  I have =
updated one of the production servers with the latest 9.2 changes and it =
still has the issue.  It appears that some config file did not get =
updated properly on the CD.  I have dug around through the 4th files and =
don't see anything obvious that would cause this.

I tried setting loader_logo=3D"none" in /boot/config.rc and that =
eliminated the menu.  I think the system completed booting, but the =
serial console was then dead.  It did not respond or output anything.  I =
had to remove that and reboot to get the console back again.

I need to get this fixed as these are production servers that are =
essentially unmanned so its difficult to get them back up again.