Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:58:46 -0500
From:      Reid Linnemann <lreid@cs.okstate.edu>
To:        Christer Hermansson <mail@chdevelopment.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Regular expressions

Written by Christer Hermansson on 08/18/07 18:08>>
> Derek Ragona wrote:
>> At 12:04 PM 8/18/2007, Christer Hermansson wrote:
>>> I also found some basic example at
>>> http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/Sh.html#uh-88 :
>>>
>>> --------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------
>>>
>>> #!/bin/sh
>>>
>>> echo "Type in a number"
>>> read ans
>>> number=`expr "$ans" : "([0-9]*)"`
>>> if [ "$number" != "$ans" ]; then
>>> echo "Not a number"
>>> elif [ "$number" -eq 0 ]; then
>>> echo "Nothing was typed"
>>> else
>>> echo "$number is a fine number"
>>> fi
>>>
>>> --------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------
>>>
>>> The above example doesn't work on my freebsd box. Maybe I need to
>>> update my system, sitting with 6.0R which never been updated.
>>>

>> You have a syntax error using expr.  Do a man on expr for more details
>> but if you change that line from:
>> number=`expr "$ans" : "([0-9]*)"`
>> to:
>> number=`expr "$ans" : "\([0-9]*\)"`
>>
>> You will get the desired results.
>>
>> Also when debugging scripts remember to add:
>> set -x
>> to your script on the second line, and see what the script lines are
>> actually doing.
>>
>>         -Derek
>>
> Thanks Derek ! Now both the example and my own code works for me. I
> changed my code from "^[A-Za-z0-9_-]+$" to "\([A-Za-z0-9_-]*\)" It seems
> that FreeBSD's expr want some different syntax than the webbased test
> tool at http://regexlib.com/RETester.aspx

No, your expression is double quoted, which means the shell will expand
it before passing it to expr. Parens are expanded by shells, they
manipulate the order of operations (i.e. 'echo 1 || echo 2 && echo 3'
vs. '(echo 1 || echo 2) && echo 3'). As a result, you must escape the
parens or the shell will gobble them up.