Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 2002 11:08:39 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
Cc:        Wayne Pascoe <freebsd@penguinpowered.org.uk>, Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ssh question

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 10:44:31PM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> Yes, but don't you want it to use the new sshd_config file, that's in
> /usr/local/etc/ssh/sshd_config?  I did a bit of testing (like renaming
> the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file, etc) and it seems that if one adds the
> first line you mention, the sshd_program line, and turns off the
> enable_sshd="YES" that, and, of course, lastly changing the new
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sshd.sh.sample to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sshd.sh that
> upon boot, it will boot the /usr/local/ one which will read the
> /usr/local/etc/ssh/sshd_config file.

Changing sshd_program in rc.conf is redundant -- rc.conf only pays any
attention to that if you also have sshd_enable="YES".  Setting
sshd_enable="NO" (or removing it entirely) and renaming the sshd.sh.sample
script should be all you need to do to run the port rather than base system
sshd.

Of course, don't forget to reboot, or just kill the old sshd and start a new
one using the script.

	Scott