Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:56:30 +0200
From:      "Victor Engmark" <victor.engmark@gmail.com>
To:        "rloefgren@forethought.net" <rloefgren@forethought.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to find HorizSync / VertRefresh rates?

On 4/30/07, rloefgren@forethought.net <rloefgren@forethought.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Victor Engmark wrote:
> > I'm trying to create a pristine xorg.conf, but I've been unable to
> > find proper values for HorizSync and VertRefresh for my Dell Latitude
> > D610.
> >
> > I've tried the values presented in MonitorsDB
> > <http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo/src/hwdata/MonitorsDB?view=markup
> >
> > for "Dell 1400x1050 Laptop Display Panel", which are HorizSync
> > 31.5-90.0 and VertRefresh 59.0-75.0, but I get a warning in
> > /var/log/Xorg.0.log for both of them saying they are "not within DDC
> > ranges."
> >
> > I've tried looking around the Dell web pages, but I haven't found any
> > pages mentioning these parameters (not too surprising, really).
> >
> > I've tried to leave these settings out, but even then I get a warning:
> > (WW) I810(0): config file hsync range 60-66.3158kHz not within DDC hsync
> > ranges.
> >
> > I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the other warnings I get
> > during startup:
> > (WW) I810(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum
> > and
> > (WW) I810(0): Extended BIOS function 0x5f05 failed.
> >
> > It seems that a DDC (or, apparently, DDS) query should be able to
> > determine these numbers, but
> > cd /usr/ports && make search name=ddc && make search name=dds
> > doesn't give any tools to deal with this.
> >
> > The relevant part of /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
> >
> > Section "Monitor"
> > Identifier   "Dell Latitude D610 monitor"
> > VendorName   "SEC"
> > ModelName    "3450"
> > # From Xorg.0.log
> > DisplaySize  286 214
> > Option       "DPMS"
> > EndSection
>
> Get the info off any labels you might find on your monitor and go to:
> www.monitorworld.com
>
> You might get lucky

Thanks, but no luck. There are no labels (it's a laptop screen), and the
Dell product page<http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=R6313>doesn't
provide any useful information. Too bad MonitorWorld doesn't
allow indexing <http://monitorworld.com/robots.txt>, or it would actually be
searchable (their search sucks).

--
Victor Engmark
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur - What is said in Latin, sounds