Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2007 22:33:31 -0500
From:      Joe Damato <jdamato@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Alejandro Lince <alince@cmu.edu>
Subject:   Creating a "new" virtual address space for a process

Hello -

This is my first time posting to the list, so please let me know if I
should expand on anything I mention here. I am working on the S4OS
project for FreeBSD with a couple friends and we are currently trying to
understand how to use the VM system in FreeBSD.

We have a process, (in this case it happens to be curproc or proc0), and
we would like to create a new virtual address space and allocate, say N
pages starting at address X. We have been reading the fork() code to try
to see how this would work, but got lost in some of the COW stuff.

We have some kernel data that needs to be copied out to userland, but we
can't seem to figure out how to actually set up that virtual address
space. I would attach a code snippet of the code we wrote to accomplish
this, but it is literally all guess work, and probably completely wrong.
Anyone know how to do this or even where to look to see an example of
this happening?

Thanks,
Joe