Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 2010 09:28:29 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Sean Bruno <seanbru@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kpanic on install >32GB of RAM

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 09:27:14AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 09:04:53AM -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
> > So, trying to get a massively overpowered HP box up with 7.3 amd64
> > version up and running.
> >
> > I can't tell at the moment, but it looks like the installer kernel is
> > having issues with >32GB of RAM in this box.
> >
> > Are we using the i386 kernel on amd64 installs?
>
> If you booted a FreeBSD image that has "amd64" in the ISO name, then the
> kernel is actually 64-bit (amd64).  The only i386 piece would be the
> bootloader.
>
> There's probably someone here who can help with the issue you describe,
> as there's occasional posts here and there from people who experience
> issues/problems when using very large amounts of RAM.

Oh, something I forgot -- make sure you review documentation for your
northbridge chipset (if there is one; if not, see specifications for
your processor since the memory controller is on-die).  Many have strict
limits.  The BIOS can also inhibit limits based on certain features.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |