Date:      Sun, 19 May 1996 17:36:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slow tty updates and high load, but idle CPU

On Sat, 18 May 1996, Robert Withrow wrote:

> I have seen the behavior once with my P6-200 worstation on 2.1R.  It
> started one afternoon (a few days agon) after the machine had been up
> for days.  Xterm windows and other more-or-less tty-looking things
> started updating in chunks every 1 second.

    Yes, yes, yes.... thank God I'm not the only one who has seen this
problem.  ;-)

> I tried killing things (like the X server, etc...) and other diddling
> but only a reboot cured it.   This has only happened once in several
> months of almost constant heavy use, but it was rather scary once it
> started....

    What is your definition of "heavy use"?  The shell servers here
always have at least 20 interactive users logged in, and can go as
high as 100 users in the late evenings, 7 days a week.  I can almost
guarantee this problem will appear after about two weeks of uptime.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.