Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 2002 02:41:01 +1030
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Gavin Kenny <gavinkenny@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        Michael Westbay <westbay@seaple.icc.ne.jp>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dialog Boxes

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 09:49:23AM +0000, Gavin Kenny wrote:
> OK I think your programming is better than mine. I am
> not using frame.pack() in fact I am calling the dialog
> box from an event handler as it is a space holder so I
> know I need to write some more code. It is a single
> line:
>
> JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Do Something");
>
> I am using the BlackBox window manager but I don't
> think this is a problem as my program works as
> intended using the linux jdk.

Thats not necessarily the case.  There is different code to handle
each window manager to some extent and just because the Linux JDK
detects BlackBox correctly and does the right thing for it doesn't
mean the native JDK has the same support code in it.

FWIW, your example works for me using AfterStep.  I haven't tried
anything else.

> Another issue which works with the linux jdk but not
> the native one is when you use the:
>
> Process proc = Runtime.getruntime().exec("some App");
>
> to run a binary, with linux if I then do a:
>
> proc.destry();
>
> The binary is shutdown/killed but nothing happens with
> the FBSD native JDK.

I'll test this out and see if I can get a handle on it.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org