Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2006 16:04:50 -0500
From:      Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Moving to new PC

On Sunday 17 September 2006 12:44, White Hat wrote:
> --- Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > sounds interesting enough.  if you will supply the
> > portmanager command syntax,
> > ill supply the test computer, and post the results.
>
> I guess I would want to run portmanager in a force
> update mode.
>
> 	portmanager -u -f -l -y
>
> should do it. It will create a log in
> /var/log/portmanager.log so at least we can see what
> transpires. The '-y' flag may not be necessary, but
> should not hurt. It will force it to answer yes to any
> questions. The only problem that I could forsee is the
> building of Java. Those files would have to be
> download prior to the build and installed in the
> /usr/ports/distfiles directory. I think portmanager by
> default does not do Java. That means that the
> pm-020.conf file will have to be modified. Not a big
> deal though.

ok, test run #1 is under way.  i built a system using the same base install
that i did for my workstation (minimal).  as prescribed, i then copied over
the entire /var/db/pkg/ directory from my worktation to the new system, and
issued the command 'portmanager -u -f -l -y'.  so far, the test system is
behaving as the experiment expected, and it is currently downloading sources
and it looks to be building packages.

ill update again later (probably need about a day, this test system is but an
athlon 2000+ with an ages old hard drive).

**update before i click send**
the -y flag does not appear to be honored here, as gettext just stop to ask me
what i would like built.

cheers,
jonathan