Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:44:40 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Dan Larsson <dl@tyfon.net>
To:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Strange localhost NS look attempts

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:

| Hello -stable:
|
| Can someone tell me why I keep getting log-messages like this?
| It sometimes seems to "break" Netscape (waiting trying to
| resolve localhost).  I'm using a "dummy" hostname of
| "myname.my.domain."  This has been happening for *months* with
| no (or not much?) ill-effect, but I would like to clean that
| up if possible & there must be something I'm not quite getting
| right for config...  What is happening here? It appears that
| I am rejecting a UDP DNS query from "myself." (?) What
| might/would be a Good & Proper Way To Fix This?
|
| Oh, I'm running 4.3-RC as of (cvsupped/built) 1 April 2001.
| Other information on request I guess... <shrug>
|
| Many thanks,

As it looks you have turned on LOG_IN_VAIN, check if either of these are
set:

  sysctl net.inet.udp.log_in_vain
  sysctl net.inet.tcp.log_in_vain

and your /etc/rc.conf /etc/defaults/rc.conf for

  log_in_vain="YES"

Regards
+------
Dan Larsson      | Tel:   +46 8 550 120 21
Tyfon Svenska AB | Fax:   +46 8 550 120 02
GPG and PGP keys | finger dl@hq1.tyfon.net