Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 07:37:05 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Alex Popa <razor@ldc.ro>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compiling untrusted source -- what are the risks?

On 2001-Jun-13 13:03:13 -0700, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:
> If
>you're using a fixed set of compiler invocations and the standard
>toolchain then it should probably be okay (I don't know of any ways to
>cause the compiler toolchain to execute arbitrary commands during
>compilation).

This is covered by Kris's "fixed set of compiler invocations", but
it's worth noting that gcc can execute arbitrary commands with
pathnames matching the regex ".*(cpp|cc1|cc1obj|cc1plus|as|ld)$"
via the -B option or $GCC_EXEC_PREFIX environment.  Note that some
variants of gcc (including -CURRENT) use "cpp0" instead of "cpp".

Looking at base system executables, this includes fold(1), btxld(8),
fore_dnld(8), rtsold(8) and /usr/libexec/rpc.rwalld, though there's
nothing stopping someone creating a suitably named shell-script and
using -Bfoo to invoke it (though it has to be marked executable).

Peter