Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 06:57:07 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall: is it really at the end of its lifecycle?

Peter Jeremy wrote:

> Firstly, size: One of sysinstall's requirements is that it fit (along
> with a variety of other related commands) onto a floppy disk.  Last
> time I checked, the /stand bundle (sysinstall + friends) was ~640K.
> The smallest X-server (XF86_VGA16) is 1.7MB (plus libraries).  I don't
> have either Qt or Lesstif installed, but from previous dealings with
> Motif, it's several times the size of the Xserver.  Unless we want to
> mandate the use of ZIP drives (or similar) as FreeBSD install
> floppies, we're limited to a syscons (or VTxxx) sysinstall.

There is a device called cd-rom which more or less qualifies for the "or
similar" category you mention. It happens to be the most popular
installation media nowadays (though it probably comes second as far as
FreeBSD is concerned).

> Given the primary mission of sysinstall is to load FreeBSD, I'd
> go so far as to say that developing an X version would be wasting
> valuable developer resources (IMHO, of course).

X install => "user-friendly" install (perceived as) => more market share
=> more resources

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
who is as social as a wampas