Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 17:37:29 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        geekvinod@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wi TX rate mechanism

In message: <20020714190625.79562.qmail@web21108.mail.yahoo.com>
            Vinod <geekvinod@yahoo.com> writes:
: Hi there all.I had a question about the wi TX
: mechanism. I have observed that sometimes the TX rate
: of my wi card fluctuates between 11Mbps, 6Mbps and
: 2Mbps.Why does this happen?

Shit happens :-).  It does this because singal strength fluxuates, and
other factors I've not been able to entirely understand.

: if its due to interference why should the TX rate be
: affected?shouldnt just the receiving station be
: affected?

No, both ends have to agree on how they are talking to the other end.
That negotiation is done at a very low level.

: Was wondering if the receiving station tells the
: sender to slow down.does it?

Yes.

Warner