Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 10:22:12 +0200
From:      Holger Kipp <holger.kipp@alogis.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Irwan Hadi <irwanhadi@phxby.com>, Jeff Jirsa <jeff@boris.st.hmc.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server won't boot after recompile the kernel with ipfw support

Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :
> :Thanks for your info. I will ask the person who near with the server to
> :issue that command from the console then. BTW how can I keep the
> :firewall rules to be permanent on FreeBSD ? Put it on rc.firewall, or
> :create another script that runs everytime the server gets rebooted ?
> :
> :Thanks
>
>     If you have a relatively recent version of FreeBSD you can do a
>     'man firewall' and it will give you a whole lot of very good
>     information.  Basically though in /etc/rc.conf you do:
>
>         firewall_enable="YES"
>         firewall_type="/etc/ipfw.conf"
>
>     And then put the firewall rules in /etc/rc.firewall.

To point out the obvious: put the firewall rules in "/etc/ipfw.conf",
if firewall_type contains a filename. If firewall_type is the name
of a configuration, edit rc.firewall.

Regards,
Holger

--
Holger Kipp, Dipl.-Math., Systemadministrator  | alogis AG
Fon: +49 (0)30 / 43 65 8 - 114                 | Berliner Strasse 26