Date:      Mon, 09 Sep 2002 16:22:15 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>, dave@jetcafe.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

"Neal E. Westfall" wrote:
> Similarly, you could say "gravity causes objects to fall because gravity
> has the property of making objects fall."  While true, it is completely
> uninteresting.  It "works" *because* of the fact that it is true by
> definition.

This argument is very like the argument that animals exist
because God created them that way, and we should not question
their nature.  8-).  The only difference I see here is that in
the case of evolution, you have a doctorine to appeal to, and
so it should not be questioned, whereas in the case of gravity,
there is no doctorine, so questioning it is acceptable behaviour.

What this really xomes down to is that you don't want people to
question doctorine, because you take it to be Revealed Knowledge,
and therefore beyond the right of man to question.  I'd point out
that the Ptolomeyic universe had this same favored position of
being protected by doctorine, and that what irked the Catholic
Church about Galileo was his publication in Italian, rather than
Latin, removing the information from slow and controlled integration
into existing doctorine over time.  Basically, he broke the story
before they could change their public policy.  "We have always been
at war with the East".  8-).

> > As long as it's not harmful, it's not selected against, and it
> > hangs around.  Alternately, there could be some other environmental
> > pressure, which is not pervasive, but is instead periodic.  The
> > fact that viruses emerge in waves, rather than being a steady
> > background noise, is indicative of this mechanism.
>
> Why should it hang around?

The genes are there; why should they magically disappear, if there's
no pressure to remove them from the gene pool?  We know for a fact
that it is almost impossible to eliminate recessive genes without
eugenics or explicit engineering: it's mathematical improbability is
so amazingly large that it simply can't happen.

What's the evolutionary disadvantage of green eyes?  Do people
with green eyes die of hemoragic fever when exposed to vegetables?
8-).  So we have people with genes that code for the production of
proteins that result in green eyes, rather than blue or brown...

> It's like the million monkeys argument.  In order for the million
> monkeys argument to work, somebody would have to do the selecting,
> meaning there is more involved than just a million monkeys typing
> on keyboards.

"One, two, three, for, five, many..."

"A million" is just a convenient handle for "an inconceivably large
number"; the premise in the argument is sound: given a source of
randomness, eventually, a set number of bits in a specific sequence
will happen.  If it never happens, then your input wasn't really
random.  It's basically a premise based on large number theory,
combined with the theory of limits.  Basically, there is a finite
probability of something happening, and an infinity of attempts at
a matching value: eventually, it *will* happen.

> > > What possible purpose could a partially evolved
> > > sex organ have, for instance?
> >
> > I think that you are begging the question; the survival value
> > of gametogenesis is fairly indisputable.
>
> Who's disputing it?  I'm asking how in the world it climbed
> Mt. Improbability.

The general consensus is that it started with the exchange of
linear RNA segments Eucaryotes.

> > The real question is
> > not gameteogenesis, per se, which could easily have occurred
> > as a result of a mutation, but internalization of gametogenesis
> > into the organism to such an extent that specialization of organs
> > occurred.
>
> Yeah, an understatement to say the least!  8-)

Not really. If something is possible, no matter how improbable,
given an infinite amount of time...

> > The second and third search results in the search reference I
> > gave you go into this idea in more detail than I'm willing to
> > go into myself, in this forum (the significance of the search
> > was not my ability to do a search, it was in my selection of
> > specific terms, and their ordering and grouping, to answer an
> > earlier question of yours).
>
> Ah, what irony!  8-)

What, that I can think like the lexicographer who designed the
classification criteria for the search engines, such that I am
a "good search term picker"?  8-).  I assure you, that a lot
of people have the ability to pick "good" search terms.

> > > But does this not present a difficulty?  With no will to do the
> > > selecting, "the power to select" is completely unintelligible.
> >
> > You keep saying that it's unintelligible, but literally many
> > thousands of scientists don't find it to be unintelligible.
>
> Maybe, just maybe, because they don't *want* to believe it to be
> unintelligible.

Or that you want to believe that it is?

> > Why do you say that it's unintelligible?
>
> Because is isn't.  It's like saying water has the power to choose its
> own path.  Such a notion is completely unintelligible.

Entropy chooses water's path.  8-).

> > Why don't they say
> > the same thing?  The answer has to lie in the fact that you
> > and they don't share some fundamental assumptions.
>
> Now you're getting the point...

I got that point from your first posting.

Now you should get mine: it's unreasonable for you to expect
everyone to adopt your assumptions, particularly if their
asumptions are a subset of yours.  8-).

-- Terry