Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 21:59:24 -0400
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Dinesh Nair <dinesh@alphaque.com>
Cc:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.2 minor woes

--==_Exmh_-1693303264P

> i've always started X with -bpp 24 in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers t=
> get the correct depth for xdm. it's not taken from XF86Config, iirc.

Ummm, actually, DefaultDepth *is* used from XF86Config if set. Been that =
way for years. Still works in XFree86 4.2.

I used to set it in Xservers, but it got irritating keeping track of it. =
Arguments to startx get irritating, plus there are authentication advanta=
ges to using derivatives of xdm (wdm is my current favorite). =

Not to mention that most things respect XF86Config, whereas it's comparit=
ively easy to dump on *dm setup files when rebuilding X.

Cheers,

AS

--==_Exmh_-1693303264P

--==_Exmh_-1693303264P--