Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 04:05:49 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Michel Timmerman <m.timmerman@zeeland.arbounie.nl>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Speed?

Michel Timmerman wrote to 'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org':

> Dear FreeBSD,
>
> I have got a question about the connection speed with FreeBSD. I recently
> installed FreeBSD 4.0 onto my Pentium II 233 system. The system is up and
> running and everything seems to work fine, but when I'm at school and do a
> telnet session to my FreeBSD system, which is connected to the internet via
> cable modem, the connection is very, very slow. I previously used Linux
> Slackware 7.1 and the connection was much faster. It probably has something
> to do with some configuration settings, or so I hope it does...

It is probably *not* a FreeBSD-specific problem, or one that did not exist
prior to installing FreeBSD.  It may be a configuration problem.

Many cable networks are notoriously slow and inconsistent.  Perhaps your
school network is experiencing problems.  Have you objectively ruled out
those possibilities?  How?

Some things you may want to check on the FreeBSD machine:
	o When you configured the card, ensure that it does not
	  conflict with any other devices in the system.
	o Did you select the right card type?
	o What make and model number is your network card?  What
	  is the chipset?  Is the chipset supported by FreeBSD?
	o In particular, try running `dmesg | more`

In addition, your report is very subjective.  "Much faster", and "slow
connection speed" don't tell us very much at all.  How is it faster?
Faster responsiveness, or faster when displaying large listings of text?
(in telnet sessions, actual throughput is seldom the problem.  Latency
plays the biggest role in most people consider "speed").

Have you actually tested latency, throughput, sustainability, and
connectivity to the box from school *and other remote locations*?  What
about outgoing connections? Can you connect another machine to the LAN on
a local subnet and test LAN performance?  What were the results to all
of the above questions?

Can you boot into another operating system (perhaps from a floppy, if
you've dedicated your entire disk drive(s) to FreeBSD) and verify that the
problem does not transfer across platforms?  Have you tried another
network card?  Another network cable?  ( Another Internet provider? :-) )

> I hope you can help me out here, or else I will be forced to uninstall
> FreeBSD because of the low connection speed. :(

Wouldn't it be a shame if you went to the time and expense of putting your
next-favorite OS back on the machine and discovered that the problem was
there all along ;-)

> Kind regards,
>
> Michel Timmerman,
> The Netherlands

Hope this helps,

Ryan Thompson
Canada

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2